Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wedding Planners in Miami ---------- Tips on Marriage License

Getting Married in Florida
The Marriage License

Where do you get one?
A couple who intends to be married in Florida may obtain a marriage license from Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8am to 5:30pm at any Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. Hours may vary so be sure to call ahead. The license does not need to be issued in the county that the ceremony will take place in. The ceremony must take place in the State of Florida to be considered valid.

Is there a waiting period?
There is no waiting period for Florida residents that have both completed a state sanctioned marriage preparation course within the last year. There is a 3 day waiting period for Florida residents who have not taken the course. In addition prospective brides and grooms are now required to read a 16-page booklet which describes situations such as how a court would divide their assets and information about child support payments. Court Clerks are allowed by law to waive the three-day waiting period in the event of a "hardship" case. Also, the waiting period does not apply to non-Florida residents.

How long is the license valid?
A marriage license is valid for 60 days.

How much does it cost?
The fee is $88.50, payable in cash only. Couples who have completed the state-sanctioned marriage preparation course within the past 12 months are only charged $56.00. (Note: Fees for marriage licenses are set by the Florida Legislature, and are subject to change)

Proof of Age and Identity
Both parties for the intended marriage must provide the Clerk's Office a valid photo ID. Accepted forms of ID's are driver's license, State Identification Card, Valid Passport, a I-94 card, Government or Military Identification Card along with a valid Social Security Card.

Previous Marriages
If either party has ever been married and divorced, or widowed, the date of the divorce or date of the spouse's death must be supplied. If the divorce or spouse's death occurred within the past 30 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate is required.

Where can I get copies of my records?
Department of Children and FamiliesDivision of Vital Statistics
P. O. Box 210
Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
(904) 359-6955